Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Very Slow Recovery

We had a near-frost event last Sunday, and a frost last Monday.  The gardens took some damage, including the loss of around ten plants that were the least protected.  Another twenty or so frost-burned.

I replaced the ten lost plants, but recovery on the twenty burned (but living and otherwise healthy) plants has been very slow.

When this happens to you, inspect the plant closely.  If the leaves under the burned leaves are still green, there's hope.  Remove the damaged leaves (the leaf is rarely damaged back to the stem on a light frost, and you can leave the green part of it if you want).  It may take a day or so until all of the damage is apparent.

Water well the next morning, and don't feed just yet.  Hold feedings until the weather returns to a more-normal pattern, then resume normally.

This frost was severe enough that recovery is quite slow on most of my plants.  Those that were burned still look fairly badly off a week later.  They should recover, but it does delay those sections of the gardens by at least a week.

3 comments:

Trim Jazz said...

crazy spring! frost to snow in vt. could have done a spring renovation! p.s. miss you at bli...

John Kay said...

Hey Morpheus,

How's it going? I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated all your insite on bestlawn/aroundtheyard. Your posts were fantastic. I sure miss your humour & knowledge.

An old time bestlawn user.

I hope all is well. Hope to chat soon.

J

Sodfather said...

Thanks, guys! Yes, all is very well, but I don't have any present plans to return to ATY. However, if anybody needs clarification on anything I've said, you can certainly PM me there and I'll be happy to answer. Tons of folks do that already!

--MorpheusPA/Eric