Wednesday, July 8, 2009

More Corn and Milorganite

I fed with another 50 pounds per thousand square feet of cracked corn today, and added another 18 pounds of Milorganite on top of that. Hopefully the Milorganite will repel the birds and rabbits a bit.

Our weather is holding more like early June than July and we're still getting sufficient rain, although June's deluge seems to have stopped at least temporarily. While I wouldn't normally feed that heavily in July, this year won't be an issue.

Looking at the soil condition lately, this is the last year I need to apply at these incredibly high rates. The soil's finished transforming from solid clay to something much more friable. Technically, I could stop now, but there's no issue with continuing through the end of the season.

I do need to update the photos as the lawn is continuing to darken from the iron applications. I'll wait until I mow to do that.

2 comments:

diyorganiclawncare said...

Is that right? 50lbs of cracked corn and 18lbs of milorganite per 1,000 sq ft?That's over 1.5lbs of N per 1,000 sq ft which is a lot this time of year. Just the milorganite alone is a pretty heavy application. It's normally 14lbs per 1,000 sq ft.It sounds like you were interested in improving the structure of your soil. If that is the case, I would have just topdressed with compost. Would be about the same price in my area and a lot more organic material.

Sodfather said...

That's right. It would work out to around 1.7 pounds of N per thousand if I wouldn't lose it to outgassing, which I will.Compost around here is a bit of a nightmare. The free stuff from the city is awful, and the rest is comparatively expensive (and I don't know where it came from on top of that). Having had some issues with it in the past, I tend to avoid it.